Human foods that are harmful, poisonous or fatal to puppies and dogs.
The best advice is to only allow your dog to eat food designed for dogs, human foods are not generally suitable. This is not an exhaustive list, so you may wish to do your own research. If your dog eats one of the items on the list, please telephone a vet immediately. Quick action could save a life.
- Avocado - Can cause vomiting and diarrhoea
- Alcohol - Potentially fatal. Dogs are very much more sensitive to alcohol than humans. Dogs suffer the symptoms of being drunk & alcohol poisoning that can lead to death.
- Bones - Bones and especially cooked bones can splinter and cause serious injury inside the dog. Small bones can get stuck in the throat or gut.
- Caffeine - Potentially fatal in high quantities (coffee grounds, tea bags, pro-plus/diet pills etc.) Call a vet immediately. Symptoms; vomiting, diarrhoea, increased heart rate, increased blood pressure, restlessness and seizure.
- Chocolate - Potentially fatal. Affects heart, central nervous system and kidneys. Call a vet immediately. Symptoms; vomiting, diarrhoea, hyperactivity, restlessness and seizure.
- Corn Cobs - when swallowed can block digestive tract as not digestible.
- Dairy - dogs do not have the enzymes to digest lactose. Can cause digestive upsets.
- Eggs (Raw) - contain harmful bacteria that cause food poisoning.
- Fat - undigestible in large quantities, can cause pancreatitis.
- Garlic - see onions
- Grapes/Raisins - Can cause kidney failure
- Human medicines - These are not suitable for dogs. Painkillers such as paracetamol can kill a dog. Always ask your vet.
- Macadamia Nuts - weakness, depression, shakes, vomiting increased body temp.
- Onions (garlic, chives, spring onions) - Signs of poisoning show a few days after eating. Stomach and bowel irritation.
- Peaches & Plums - the stones can be harmful to dogs.
- Plants - watch out for daffodil bulbs and many other garden plants.
- Raw meat & fish - harmful bacteria, leading to food poisoning.
- Raw potato or potato plants - poisonous
- Salt - Blood pressure
- Sugar - Diabetes, bad teeth, obesity.
- Xylitol - a sweetener found in many sweets and foods. Can cause fatal lowered blood sugar levels, serious liver disease, blood clotting disorders. Symptoms to look out for include lethargy, vomiting, poor coordination.
- Yeast dough - can expand in the stomach to cause pain and blockages.
Many common garden plants can also be harmful to dogs. Please be vigilant. Ask your vet for more info.
Foods that are safe for dogs
Carrot sticks - great to use as rewards and excellent teething aids when frozen.
Cucumber bits - great low calorie rewards.